Pages

So, here it is. My David Story.

A little background...

I participated in an interactive fan fiction on a friend's site, and my character ended up with David. I spent so much time immersing myself in his music and stories about him (which are hard to find, by the way) that he took over my thoughts for quite some time. I couldn't get him out of my head. He's still in there, rattling doors and opening drawers and such, but he's behaving himself. Mostly.

This story came out as an outlet for me to try to get through my little obsession. I told some of the girls from the other fan fic exercise, and they thought it was hysterical that I got so wrapped up, that I couldn't think of anything but him.

They convinced me to "go public" with the story, so here it is.

I hope you enjoy it. It starts here.

~ Hath

Chapter 3: Back to Work

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Monday, November 5th, 2007

It was very difficult going back to work after the last four days I had just had. Fortunately, I guess, there were all sorts of small fires to put out. I manage the computer systems and application support for one of the divisions of a very large financial services company. We have billions of people’s money coming through my systems. If you have a 401(k) plan, there’s a good chance we administer it. When there’s even the smallest blip, I’m responsible for fixing it. Me and my minions, I should say. We were busy with blips on some new projects that were coming online, and were busy most of the day.

I was able to sneak onto the boards for a little bit today, though, and saw that Sam had left me a message. She said David had been talking me up to everyone all weekend – that he thought I was a great girl (though I haven’t been a girl since 1983), that we had fun together, and Jesus, he thinks I’m hot. I think the grin I had on my face when I read that nearly literally split my head in two. I felt so juvenile, but it had been so long since I had felt that at all, that I was not going to worry about it.

I got home late and was fixing supper when my gaze strayed to the calendar. I knew the guys didn’t have a show tonight, and I was kinda hoping David would call me later. I still felt strange calling him, like I’d be interrupting or something. I suppose that if he was busy, he just wouldn’t answer, but, whatever – I still couldn’t quite do it.

I settled in with a nice glass of wine and a good movie on AMC. My thoughts were wandering to the phone sex on Saturday night, and I was blushing, recalling the things he said he wanted to do with and to me. I couldn’t concentrate on the movie anymore, so I fired up the laptop and started surfing. Of course, I was surfing for more info on David; I missed him more than I cared to admit. As my phone started to ring, I came across an article about where he was tonight.

“Hey baby,” I said, “I was just reading about you. Congratulations.”

“Thanks, Hath,” he said, then lowered his voice. “What with all that was going on this past weekend, I totally forgot about this.” He chuckled. “If Obie hadn’t reminded me, I’d’ve missed it.”

“Well, I’m very proud of you,” I said, like I had the right to. “It’s nice to see you guys give something back, you know?” David was being honored with the James Hammerstein Award at the "Only Make Believe" gala concert in NYC. The award was for extraordinary dedication to children in need.

“Aw, Hath, that’s sweet,” David said. “I just got through on stage, and wanted to hear your voice.”

“Aw, now who’s being sweet?” I teased.

“Listen, if I had remembered, I would have asked you to come with me.”

“Really?” I squeaked. “You’d have wanted me there?”

“Of course!” he said. “Why wouldn’t I want my best girl with me? Besides,” his voice dropped to a growl again, “I’ll bet you look amazing all dressed up.”

“Oh, I clean up OK, but, Jesus, I’m glad you forgot.” I said it without thinking about what it sounded like. David’s silence on the other end of the phone was a little scary. I hurried to finish my thought. “I mean, I don’t think I’m ready for the red carpet quite yet,” I chuckled. “I’ve gotta get used to ‘us’ first.”

“Are you sure that’s all it is?” David sounded sincerely hurt.

“Oh, baby, of course! I don’t think you quite get how surreal this is for me.” I took a gulp of wine and tried to steady my nerves. “Look, you’re a famous celebrity, and I’m just a regular woman from Boston. I’ve got a day job and a mortgage and car payments, and we’ve really just met, and well, your life is just totally foreign to me.” I sighed. “I’m not explaining this right. For a girl, I suck at this.”

David laughed at that. “I think I get what you’re saying; it’s OK. There’s plenty of time to play dress up.”

I could hear people in the background, trying to talk to him. “Do you have to go?”

“Naah,” he said. “I’d much rather talk to you. So,” I could practically see the evil grin on his face. “What’re you wearing?”

1 comments:

Sunstreaked said...

His "best girl" huh? Wants to hear her voice? And Hath is doing a little research? Hmmm...