Pages

So, here it is. My David Story.

A little background...

I participated in an interactive fan fiction on a friend's site, and my character ended up with David. I spent so much time immersing myself in his music and stories about him (which are hard to find, by the way) that he took over my thoughts for quite some time. I couldn't get him out of my head. He's still in there, rattling doors and opening drawers and such, but he's behaving himself. Mostly.

This story came out as an outlet for me to try to get through my little obsession. I told some of the girls from the other fan fic exercise, and they thought it was hysterical that I got so wrapped up, that I couldn't think of anything but him.

They convinced me to "go public" with the story, so here it is.

I hope you enjoy it. It starts here.

~ Hath

Chapter 9: Getting the Guys Back to Work

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Friday, November 9th, 2007

The next morning, when we got up, we staggered into the kitchen in search of coffee. Stephanie had a wonderful smelling brew going, and it tasted like heaven. “Mmmmm,” I said, taking a deep sip. “This is fantastic.”

Stephanie smiled. “Honestly, it’s just coffee. Here,” she said, plunking down plates in front of me and David. “Eat something.” We happily obliged, tucking into a delicious breakfast. I could feel my hips thickening with each morsel. When we were done, David excused himself to go shower, and I watched him leave, making Lucy laugh softly. “You want to go with him, don’t you?” I blushed and hurriedly raised my cup to my lips so I wouldn’t have to answer. I was saved by Nathan and Jon coming into the kitchen. Jon looked a little better for having had a few hours sleep. He caught my eye and nodded at me; which I guess is Bongiovi for “yeah, no hard feelings, OK?”

Stephanie handed them plates, and told them to sit and eat. Jon started to hand his plate back, but glanced at me, and I glared at him. He raised half his mouth in a grim grin, and said thanks to Stephanie and sat to eat. Nathan had already eaten, but had taken his plate without argument.

After breakfast, we girls were chatting and cleaning the kitchen companionably. We noticed the guys had all migrated to the living room, and Lucy volunteered to be our spy. When she heard what the conversation was about, she motioned us all to the doorway.

Richie asked Jon, "What about the show tonight?"

"I'm going to call Paul, and we're going to cancel," Jon replied. We gasped from the doorway, but none of them noticed.

David and Richie exchanged meaningful looks. Jon had never willingly canceled a show before. "But, Kidd," David began.

"But nothing," Jon interrupted him, "I'm not leaving here until she wakes up."

Nathan shook his head. "If you cancel and she wakes up, she'll be pissed," he interjected into the conversation.

All three men looked at him in astonishment. Nathan continued, "My sister has never shucked work. She missed days here and there, but never when she was on a case. Sam'd be extremely pissed if you shucked work because of her."

Lucy had heard enough, and stepped from the doorway into the living room. "Jon, you know damn good and well that Sam would be pissed off if she woke up, knowing you had a show and were sitting there with her."

"I'm not leaving her like this," Jon said emphatically.

"All right," I said angrily. Jesus, would this man ever learn? "Nobody asked me, but I'm putting my two-cents worth in here. I'm tired of all this hopeless conversation.” I put on my very best Triple-G glare, and it wasn’t any effort to do so, believe me. “You men are acting like she's dying, damn it! And, I won't have it.” I got in Jon’s face again, my fingertip close enough to his face for him to bite. “She is going to wake up, and as far as I'm concerned canceling those shows is like admitting defeat. Like admitting you've lost hope!” I took a step back, not breaking eye contact. My voice got deadly calm. “You will not cancel those shows and give up faith that she's going to wake up!"

Everyone looked at me in astonishment. I swear, they must all have a bunch of yes-men around them all the time. I can’t believe people haven’t talked to them like this before. I felt a little guilty for mouthing off, however, and in the name of keeping the peace, I tried to temper my outburst. "Besides," I said softly, "Nathan and Lucy are right; Sam would be pissed."

Stephanie decided to put in her two-cents worth then, "Me and the other girls will stay here, and call you if there's any change. We'll take care of everything. Then you can all come back after the show tomorrow night."

"I'll get us another flight out today," Richie told Jon. "Then we can come right back after the show tomorrow night."

Jon gave in. "You're all right. She would be pissed." Then he leveled his gaze on me, his blue eyes burning a hole into my forehead. Thank God, there was something in those eyes besides defeat. If nothing else, I got his blood pumping again. "And let's get one thing straight. I'm not giving up hope. There's no ‘hope’ to it. She will wake up, and that's all there is to it.” He nodded, the discussion clearly closed. “Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go get ready to go back up to the hospital. Rich, you and Davey can pick me up there and we can all go to the airport." He gave me another glare for good measure and stalked from the room.

Aaah, he still doesn’t scare me. David gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, and left to go pack his own things. I went to help.

“I can’t believe you talked to him like that,” David said.

Oooh, now David was starting to piss me off. “Why? Because he’s Jon fucking Bon Jovi? Listen sweetheart,” the endearment sounding more like an epithet. “I don’t give a shit who he is. He’s just a man acting like a fool, and I don’t suffer fools. He needed a kick in the ass, and you all are too close to him to do it. I’m new. I don’t care if he likes me or not.”

David just looked at me, with a strange smile on his face. “Darlin’, I think he respects the hell out of you for standing up to him. You’re right, we’re too close. He listens to us, but sometimes doesn’t hear us.”

I chuckled. “Sorry; sometimes my temper gets the better of me. But I swear to God, he was pissing me off. Like I said before, I don’t care if he gets mad at me, as long as he starts feeling something. What are you smiling at?”

“I like Triple-G better than GSA. Triple-G is hot,” he said.

I burst out laughing and crossed the room to kiss him. “I’m gonna miss you, Joker,” I said.

“I’m gonna miss you too, Triple-G,” he said back.

Richie pounded on the door. “C’mon, you guys, Dave and I have to go.” Arms wrapped around each other, we left the room.

We girls waved to David and Richie when they left, then set about to clean up from last night. We got the air bed put away, and towels and sheets washed and dried. With nothing left to do, Lucy went to the hospital to be with Cori, and Stephanie and I stayed behind to cook. We’re working quite well together in the kitchen. I’m an excellent sous-chef, and Steph is a true master at the stove. We were making dinner to take to the hospital, and were making sure we had extra for the nurses who've been so kind. We're also taking a radio up to her room; there's a Hogs game broadcasting this weekend.

* * * * *

Stephanie and I were taking our turn in the hospital Friday night. Lucy came back to sit with Diva, and we loaded up the car and headed out. I swear, when I get home, I’m going to send a huge thank-you check to these two drivers. They’ve been absolute saints, being basically at our beck and call. After we got everyone fed, I checked in with David. I snuck him a text message from Sam’s room, telling him that it was our watch, and to call us any time.

We have the radio on and are listening to one of my all time favorite country songs, “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off”. It makes me laugh every time Joe Nichols sings “Them pantyhose ain't gonna last to long, if the DJ puts Bon Jovi on…” Our chattering and laughing had no effect on Sam, though it did make us feel better.

We told Sam that we were going to all come and call the hogs with her tomorrow. Diva will be OK for a few hours by herself, and maybe the team will play well enough or lousy enough to get a reaction. We’re trying everything we can think of. I even threatened her with one of those god-awful Hogs-head hats if she didn’t wake up soon.

Nathan keeps popping in and out, and Paul keeps calling on behalf of Jon to see what, if anything has changed. We keep telling Paul that nothing is different, and have finally told Nathan to go home for a few hours and get some rest. We promised to call him if anything happens.

Stephanie was talking to Sam about the baby, and recalling stories from when she was pregnant with her little guy. We were holding her hands, and she was telling about the first time she felt the little flutter inside and how her son liked to use her bladder as a trampoline, and we were having a good laugh. She told Sam that she was going to have to take lots of pictures so that Jon wouldn’t miss any of the pregnancy, and would have to send the ultrasound pictures and videos to him too.

All of a sudden, Stephanie shouted for a nurse, and scared the crap out of me. “What the hell?” I asked her.

“She just squeezed my hand!” Stephanie gushed.

Nurses and her doctor came rushing in and unceremoniously shoved us from the room. We were watching through the window, waiting for a smile or a high sign, and thankfully we didn’t dial Jon’s phone, because the doctor came out and told us that it was just her nervous system’s reaction to stimulus. I don’t think there’s any “just” about it. She heard us, and she responded. That’s good news to me. We called Lucy, Cori and Nathan and let them know, but are going to wait and let Lucy talk to Richie about this first, and decide when to tell Jon.

0 comments: